Farmland Property Tax


As a farmland owner in Ontario, you may be eligible to apply for a property tax reduction through the Farm Property Class Tax Rate Program offered by Ontario Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs (OMAFRA).

You need to contact Ontario Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs to see if you meet the eligibility requirements. Eligible owners will need a valid Farm Business Registration number from AGRICORP in order to apply.

If you receive a “Farm Property Class Application” from the Ministry, this application must be completed and returned to them by the required deadline provided. You may receive an application for one or more of the following reasons:

  • MPAC has advised OMAFRA that you recently purchased or severed a farm property
  • MPAC has advised OMAFRA of a change in information (i.e., correction to name, owner added or removed)
  • OMAFRA has been notified of a change regarding the farming operation on the property

If the application is not completed and returned to OMAFRA by the deadline they provide you with, the tax class will change from Farmland to Residential and you will be taxed at the Residential Tax Rate. If you have any questions or require further information, please contact OMAFRA's Customer Service Line toll free 1-877-424-1300.


South Huron logo

We work hard to ensure that everyone can access the information and services they need.

For information in alternative formats or assistance accessing information, please contact the Municipal Office at 519-235-0310. 

© 2020 The Municipality of South Huron, 322 Main Street South P.O. Box 759 Exeter, ON N0M 1S6