Carbon Monoxide Awareness Week 2022


A jack-o-lantern reminding you to change the batteries in your CO detector

The South Huron Fire Department reminds us all that with the clocks changing this weekend it's time to check and change the batteries in our smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors.
Carbon monoxide (CO) is known as the silent killer because it is an invisible, tasteless and odourless gas that can be deadly. Over 65% of CO-related injuries and deaths in Ontario occur in the home.
CO is produced when fuels — such as propane, gasoline, natural gas, heating oil or wood — do not burn completely in fuel-burning appliances and devices, such as:
* furnaces
* fireplaces
* hot water heaters
* stoves
* barbeques
* portable heaters
* generators
* vehicles
Exposure to CO can cause headaches, nausea, dizziness, confusion, drowsiness, loss of consciousness, and even death.
If your CO alarm sounds, you or other occupants may experience symptoms of CO poisoning. It is critical to get everyone out of the home immediately and call 9-1-1 or your local emergency services number from outside the building.
See this helpful resource page to learn more about how to safeguard your home against CO.