Document Commissioning: 

The Commissioners for taking Affidavits Act allows Municipal Clerks and other Officials (also known as Commissioner of Oaths) to take various types of declarations and to administer oaths. The authority of Commissioners of Oaths is limited and Commissioners are not authorized to swear affidavits for private businesses or personal affairs. The Commissioner of Oaths will not assist with the completion of the affidavit or provide legal advice.

Please note that the Municipality of South Huron does not have a Notary Public on staff.

Commissioning is done by the discretion of the Commissioner of Oaths. If a Commissioner of Oaths is uneasy about the identity of the person signing or the content of the document for any reason, the Commissioner of Oaths may refuse to sign the document and the deponent will be referred to a lawyer.

Commissioning Process: 

If you would like to get a document commissioned, please follow the process below:

1. Scan and email the document you wish to get commissioned to

  • In your email, please let us know your preferred appointment dates and times and we will contact you to confirm a date and time that is agreeable for both parties
  • Unless required as per the document to be commissioned
  • All scanned documents must be clear and legible                                                                                                                    
  • Please note which documents the Municipality will commission:
 Documents that the Municipality will commission

Please note if a Commissioner of Oaths is uneasy about the identity of the person signing or the content of the document for any reason, the Commissioner of Oaths may refuse to sign the document and the deponent will be referred to a lawyer.

  • Planning Applications
  • Domestic and Foreign Pension documents (Proof of Life)
  • Statutory Declaration of Apprenticeship Hours
  • Canadian Citizenship forms
  • Delayed Statement of Live Birth
  • Name Change document
  • Statutory Declaration of Lost Identification (must include police report number)
  • Sworn Statement for the Transfer of a Used Motor Vehicle in the Province of ON
  • Statutory Declaration for OSAP – Statement of Common Law Status/Supporting Children
  • Affidavit of Unregistered Vehicle
  • Immunization Health Form
  • Statutory Declaration of Common-law Union (single signature) - Service Canada form
  • Application for Change of Sex Designation on a Birth Registration


 Documents that the Municipality will not commission
  • Wills, “Living Wills”, Codicils to Wills or Estate Settlement documents
  • Power of Attorney
  • Divorce or Separation documents
  • Custody documents
  • Documents related to debt
  • Financial Guarantees 
  • Real estate related documents, statements, transfer of land
  • Court, Legal or Civil issue related documents
  • Age of Majority or BYID Card application
  • Documents that need to be Notarized
  • Letters of Invitation to obtain a visa to visit Canada
  • Travel Affidavit – consent letter for children
  • Proof of Loss for Insurance documents
  • Any document that is to be executed by an individual acting in their capacity as a Power of Attorney
  • Documents that are in any language other than English will not be commissioned, as we cannot validate the information that is sworn. 

There will be no exceptions to the Policy.


2. Once the required information is received, staff will contact you with your appointment information

3. Payment can be made for commissioning documents online by visiting Municipality of South Huron eCommerce
The fee for commissioning a document is $10 for a one page document
You will need to include your name, phone number and email address

Cash or debit option will also be available at Town Hall during your appointment

4. Your appointment at Town Hall: 

Please bring all original documentation to your appointment. You must bring two pieces of identification with you, each containing a signature. At least one piece of identification should be an official government document, bearing the photograph and signature of the deponent or declarant, and one must show the present address. All those required to sign the document must attend the appointment with sufficient identification.

Please do not sign the form that is to be commissioned, as the document must be signed in the presence of the Commissioner

Please note: we are only scheduling appointments for commissioning of documents once the information and payment has been received. Please allow for sufficient time for the municipality to receive payment and schedule your appointment.

When attending Town Hall, masks are not required but welcome. We ask that you keep the social distance and sanitize your hands upon arrival. 

For any inquiries contact the clerk’s department 519-235-0310



South Huron logo

We work hard to ensure that everyone can access the information and services they need.

For information in alternative formats or assistance accessing information, please contact the Municipal Office at 519-235-0310. 

© 2020 The Municipality of South Huron, 322 Main Street South P.O. Box 759 Exeter, ON N0M 1S6